By Grey Larsen. 140 pages, with free downloadable audio.
View 13 excerpts.
Upon request, Grey will autograph your book, at no extra charge. (You may request this during the checkout process by using the comments area.)
Purchase as an eBook.
This book is also available in a book bundle at a reduced cost.
Much more than just a tune book, this book/audio contains 150 traditional Irish tunes, with suggested ornamentation and breathing places. All the tunes are included in the downloadable audio. Also included are three chapters which address Grey's ornamentation notation system, modes, and breathing and phrasing. While composed mainly of "whistle-friendly" tunes, there are also 28 tunes of non-wind origin and 28 tunes for playing on non-D whistles. Grey addresses the issue of notes that go too low for the whistle and options for making needed adaptations.
Many of the transcriptions pay homage to recordings by famous Irish musicians and groups such as Matt Molloy (of the Chieftains), Mary Bergin, Kevin Burke, Martin Hayes, Sharon Shannon, and Altan as well as early 20th century recordings from revered Irish masters Michael Coleman, Willie Clancy, Bobby Casey, Paddy Killoran, Dennis Murphy, Paddy Canny and others.
In this book you'll find:
- 150 jigs, reels, hornpipes, slip jigs, polkas, slides and other types of Irish tunes.
- Irish session favorites.
- Lesser-known tunes to broaden your repertoire.
- An innovative approach to using a variety of low whistles (not just low D) in Irish sessions.
- Three chapters to guide you through ornamentation, breathing and phrasing, modes and notation.
- Downloadable audio containing all 150 tunes played by Grey, plus musical examples from each of the chapters.
- 94 "whistle-friendly" tunes that fit the D whistle like a glove.
- 28 tunes for the D whistle which originated with non-wind instruments such as fiddle and accordion.
- 28 tunes that work beautifully on whistles in keys other than D (and which can be played on the D whistle as well)