Much more than just a tune book, this book/audio collection contains 150 traditional Irish tunes, with suggested ornamentation and breathing places for flute players. All the tunes contained in the downloadable audio files. Also included are three chapters which address Grey’s ornamentation notation system, modes, and breathing and phrasing. While composed mainly of “flute-friendly” tunes, there are also tunes of non-wind origin and tunes that require the use of metal keys. Grey addresses the issue of notes that go too low for the standard Irish flute and options for making needed adaptations.
The author designed the sequence of jigs, reels and hornpipes such that good medleys result when you play consecutive tunes one after another. We’re not aware of tune collections by other authors that offer such medley suggestions.
Many of the transcriptions pay homage to recordings by famous Irish musicians and groups such as Bobby Casey, Dennis Murphy, Paddy Canny and others.
In this book you’ll find:
- 150 jigs, reels, hornpipes, slip jigs, polkas, slides and other types of Irish tunes.
- Irish session favorites.
- Lesser-known tunes to broaden your repertoire.
- An innovative approach to using a variety of flutes in keys other than D in Irish sessions.
- Three chapters to guide you through ornamentation, breathing and phrasing, modes and notation.
- Two CDs containing all 150 tunes played by the author, plus musical examples from each of the chapters.
- 94 “flute-friendly” tunes that fit the flute like a glove.
- 28 tunes for flute which originated with non-wind instruments such as fiddle and accordion.
- 28 tunes that require the use of metal keys.