This is a collection of 34 folk, popular and classical songs and tunes arranged for tin whistle or Irish flute. (Tin whistles are also known as pennywhistles.)
These pieces represent numerous countries and cultures. Most of these melodies will be familiar to many English speakers. A few of them—cherished favorites from non-English speaking cultures—may be less familiar. See the list of songs and tunes below.
Chords are included with the notation and recording of each tune. On the recordings the chords are played on guitar or piano. Recordings of each tune are provided in several configurations: whistle alone, Irish flute alone, guitar or piano alone, whistle with guitar or piano, and Irish flute with guitar or piano.
Here you may listen to six examples of the audio included with this book:
- Down By the Riverside – tin whistle with accompaniment
- All Through the Night – Irish flute with accompaniment
- La Cucaracha – tin whistle with accompaniment
- Aloha Oe – Irish flute with accompaniment
- De Colores – Irish flute duet with accompaniment
- This Little Light of Mine – tin whistle duet with accompaniment
What Makes These Tunes Easy?
- They are played in the lower two octaves of the whistle and flute’s range, ascending no higher than B in the second octave. (Notes above this can be challenging to play on the whistle, and they sound too loud and shrill to many people.)
- They are in easy whistle and flute keys or modes: D major, G major, E minor, B minor and A Dorian.
- They use only the eight primary notes of the D whistle and Irish flute: D, E, F#, G, A, B, C and C#,
Easy Favorites in Alternate Keys. In the book Easy Favorites for Tin Whistle or Irish Flute each of the 34 songs and tunes are presented in just one key. However, it is possible to play 21 of them in an alternate key — in fact seven of them can be played in two alternate keys — while still satisfying the criteria that makes them easy to play on tin whistle and Irish flute. This supplement provides these additional song arrangements, in standard music notation, tablature, and with audio recordings.
Easy Favorites Notated in Suit Code. The songs and tunes in the book Easy Favorites for Tin Whistle or Irish Flute are presented in standard music notation and tablature notation. This supplement provides that same music notated in Suit Code, a graphic fingering shorthand, as well as in standard music notation.
You may also enjoy some free downloads related to this book.
1. This Little Light of Mine
3. When Johnny Comes Marching Home
4. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
5. Waltzing Matilda
6. Cielito Lindo
7. The Banana Boat Song (Day-O)
8. All Through the Night
10. Minuet in G from The Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach
11. De Colores
13. Aloha ‘Oe
14. The Parting Glass
15. Down in the River to Pray
16. Keep Your Eyes on the Prize
17. Nkosi Sikelel’ iAfrika (God Bless Africa)
18. La Bamba
19. Santa Lucia
20. Shalom Chaverim
21. Down by the Riverside (Study War No More)
22. Ṭalʿat Yā Maḥalā Nūrhā (It Rose Up, What a Beautiful Light)
23. The Foggy Dew
24. Wayfaring Stranger
25. Gayowajineh (Seneca Canoe Song)
26. Wiegenlied (Brahms’ Lullaby)
27. The Dreidel Song
28. Sakura (Cherry Blossoms)
29. When the Saints Go Marching In
30. La Cucaracha
31. Happy Birthday
32. Wedding March from A Midsummer Night’s Dream
33. O Hanukkah
34. Auld Lang Syne
Duets for Tin Whistles or Irish Flutes
This Little Light of Mine
When Johnny Comes Marching Home