This collection of songs, arranged for tin whistle in D or standard Irish flute, is a supplement to Grey Larsen’s book, Easy Favorites for Tin Whistle or Irish Flute.
In that book, each of the 34 song arrangements is presented in only one key. However, it is possible to play 21 of these melodies in an alternate key — in fact one can play seven of them in two alternate keys — while still satisfying the criteria that makes them easy to play on tin whistle and Irish flute. Easy Favorites in Alternate Keys provides these additional song arrangements, in standard music notation, tablature, and with audio recordings.
On the recordings, Cindy Kallet plays guitar while Grey Larsen plays piano, as well as a Session Whistle in D from Carbony Celtic Winds or an Irish flute. The chords you hear on the recordings are shown in the music notation.
The audio recordings come in five different categories. You may download any or all of them.
- Guitar or piano alone (no whistle or flute)
- Irish flute alone (no guitar or piano)
- Irish flute with guitar or piano
- Tin whistle alone (no guitar or piano)
- Tin whistle with guitar or piano
You may enjoy playing whistle, flute, or another melody instrument along with category #1, above.
Here you may listen to four examples from this collection:
- La Cucaracha in D – whistle and guitar
- All Through the Night in D – Irish flute and piano
- Down by the Riverside in G – whistle and piano
- Aloha ‘Oe in G – Irish flute and guitar
The eBook component is a 42-page PDF file.
These song arrangements are easy to play on tin whistle or Irish flute because:
- They are played in the lower two octaves of the whistle and flute’s range, ascending no higher than B in the second octave. (Notes above this can be challenging to play on the whistle, and they sound too loud and shrill to many people.)
- They are in easy whistle and flute keys: D major, G major, E minor or B minor.
- They use only the eight primary notes of the D whistle and Irish flute: D, E, F-sharp, G, A, B, C and C-sharp. No half-holing required.