Here are some materials related to the book Easy Christmas Favorites for Tin Whistle or Irish Flute, including a major supplement, Carols in Alternate Keys. Details on that supplement are shown below.
View excerpts from Easy Christmas Favorites for Tin Whistle or Irish Flute (coming soon).
If you are new to the tin whistle, have questions about it or need help with your playing, I recommend you consult my book First Lessons Tin Whistle. It offers valuable insights as well as thorough instruction for beginners. If you are new to the Irish flute, I recommend working with my book The Essential Guide to Irish Flute and Tin Whistle.
A Supplement, and Some Exercises
This collection of Christmas carols, arranged for tin whistle in D or standard Irish flute, is a supplement to the book, Easy Christmas Favorites for Tin Whistle or Irish Flute.
In that book, each of the 30 carols are presented in just one key. However, it is possible to play 24 of them in an alternate key — in fact one of them can be played in two alternate keys — while still satisfying the criteria that makes them easy to play on tin whistle and Irish flute. This supplement provides these additional Christmas carol arrangements, in standard music notation, tablature, and with audio recordings.
On the recordings, Cindy Kallet plays guitar accompaniment while Grey Larsen plays a Session Whistle in D from Carbony Celtic Winds or an Irish flute. The chords you hear on the recordings are shown in the music notation.
Featuring standard music notation as well as tablature, with audio files included.
Available in six note-naming systems from around the world: US (Latin Alphabet), Sargam, Jianpu (modified), German “H” Nomenclature, Fixed Do Solfège (also known as Tonic Sol-Fa) and Movable Do Solfège
- A Staff-Based Tablature System for Tin Whistle and Irish Flute
- Blank Tablature Templates for Tin Whistle and Irish Flute
- Some Thoughts on Practicing
- A Brief Explanation of Modal Scales
- Charts of Whistle Keys and Scales – This gives information on how to use whistles which are in keys other than D.
- Fingering Chart for Tin Whistle with Half-Hole Fingerings – This chart also works for the keyless Irish flute in D.
- Suit Code: A Graphic Shorthand for Tin Whistle and Irish Flute Fingerings